The other day I was writing on facebook about Isaac and how with him being sick, it has made him fussier and harder for everyone to sleep. Someone I have known for a long time wrote back to me and said that at their pregnancy center they have everybody read this certain book/DVD called "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Karp. Here is their website and here is the link to the DVD on amazon...
Happiest Baby
Link to buy book on amazon
Link to buy DVD on amazon
She recommended me to go buy it and so I first youtubed it and watched some videos on there and saw how amazing it seemed so I ordered the DVD because I am more of a visual person! It came in today and wow it's awesome! Every single time Isaac has been fussy I do what the DVD says and within seconds to a minute he is calm, relaxed and going to sleep in my arms! I have even started doing some of the techniques within the past day or two that I just learned online and already last night Isaac slept so much better and so did I!
This is SOOO amazing that I now want to get this DVD and a swaddle blanket for all my friends/family who have babies! On Amazon there were over 1200 reviews on both the book and DVD that were over 4.5 stars out of 5, which is awesome!
Here is a simple summary of his techniques, which seem simple enough and really are but he shows you in a way that is so amazing...
The 5 S's...
- Swaddling - Tight swaddling provides the continuous touching and support the fetus experienced while still in Mom's womb. (i have been swaddling already but he shows a better way of swaddling and exactly how and when to do it)
- Side/stomach position - You place your baby, while holding her, either on her left side to assist in digestion, or on her stomach to provide reassuring support. Once your baby is happily asleep, you can safely put her in her crib, on her back.
- Shushing Sounds - These sounds imitate the continual whooshing sound made by the blood flowing through arteries near the womb. This white noise can be in the form of a vacuum cleaner, a hair dryer, a fan and so on. The good news is that you can easily save the motors on your household appliances and get a white noise CD which can be played over and over again with no worries.
- Swinging - Newborns are used to the swinging motions that were present when they were still in Mom's womb. Every step mom took, every movement caused a swinging motion for your baby. After your baby is born, this calming motion, which was so comforting and familiar, is abruptly taken away. Your baby misses the motion and has a difficult time getting used to it not being there. "It's disorienting and unnatural," says Karp. Rocking, car rides, and other swinging movements all can help.
- Sucking - "Sucking has its effects deep within the nervous system," notes Karp, "and triggers the calming reflex and releases natural chemicals within the brain." This "S" can be accomplished with breast, bottle, pacifier or even a finger.
He also has a book/DVD for happiest toddler on the block for you parents with older ones!
I HIGHLY recommend this as already in just a day it's done wonders for us! I am excited to keep using these techniques now and see where it takes us!
Love,

I read this with my first one and I recommend it as well. I'm a die-hard swaddler :-) Glad you found something helpful!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting about this. I was just thinking yesterday about something I could read now that would help us when that time comes. Glad you're finding it useful.
ReplyDeletefunny these are techniques that have been around for ages. Learned them from my mother. I did them with my kids and they worked back then too. Darn should of wrote a book and became famous ;0)
ReplyDeleteI used this book and the techniques worked so well with my first son who was a cranky little guy for the first few months.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting about this. I was just thinking yesterday about something I could read now that would help us when that time comes. Glad you're finding it useful.
ReplyDeleteI read this with my first one and I recommend it as well. I'm a die-hard swaddler :-) Glad you found something helpful!
ReplyDelete